It’s easy to pick a starring main dish, but we still need side dishes that that will complement the main course without distracting from it, will look great on the plate, and won’t require more time and energy than you can spare? We have chosen this vegetable dish that are a good match for your show-stopping main dish and that can also be enjoyed as vegetarian dish on its own.
Prep Time:10 minutes, Cook Time:35 minutes, Total Time:45 minutes, Servings: 6
- 6 cups butternut squash (or pumpkin, kabocha, etc.), peeled, seeded and cut into bite sized cubes
- 1 small onion, diced
- 4 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 tablespoon thyme, chopped (or 1 teaspoon dried thyme)
- 3/4 cup heavy/whipping cream
- 1/2 cup parmigiano reggiano (parmesan), grated
- 1 cup feta, crumbled
- salt and pepper to taste
- Mix everything, place in a baking dish and bake in a preheated 400F/200C oven until the butternut squash is tender, the top is lightly golden brown and the sides are bubbling, about 30-40 minutes.
Option: Replace the parmesan cheese with gruyere
Option: Add a pinch of nutmeg.
Option: Replace the feta with another cheese like parmesan, gruyere, cheddar, etc.
Option: Use a bechamel sauce instead of a heavy cream sauce.