It’s easy to pick a starring main dish, but we still need side dishes that that will complement the main course without distracting from it, will look great on the plate, and won’t require more time and energy than you can spare? We have chosen this vegetable dish that are a good match for your show-stopping main dish and that can also be enjoyed as vegetarian dish on its own.
Prep Time:10 minutes, Cook Time:20 minutes, Total Time:30 minutes, Servings: 6
Green beans tossed in a tasty maple or honey-dijon sauce and topped with crispy bacon, crunchy candied pecans and creamy goats cheese!
- 1,4 kg green beans, trimmed
- 4 strips bacon, cut into 1/2 inch pieces
- 1 small onions, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 2 tablespoons maple or honey syrup
- 1 tablespoon dijon mustard
- 1 tablespoon grainy mustard
- 2 teaspoons white miso paste (optional)
- 2 teaspoons soy sauce (or tamari)
- 2 teaspoons rice vinegar (or white wine vinegar)
- 1/4 cup candied pecans (see below)
- 1/4 cup goats cheese (or feta) crumbled
- Blanch the green beans by simmering them in water or steaming them until bright green and just tender/crisp, and drain.
- Meanwhile, cook the bacon in a pan over medium heat until crispy and set aside on paper towels to drain.
- Add the onion to the pan and cook in the bacon grease until tender, about 5-7 minutes, before adding the garlic and cooking until fragrant, about a minute.
- Add the green beans and the mixture of the maple or honey syrup, mustards, miso paste, soy sauce and vinegar and toss to coat.
- Serve the green beans topped with the crumbled bacon, pecans and cheese.
Option: Omit bacon and use 1 tablespoon oil to cook the onions in step 2.
Option: Add sriracha to the maple or honey dijon sauce.
Prep Time: 5 minutes, Cook Time: 5 minutes, Cool Time: 10 minutes, Total Time: 20 minutes, Servings: 44 (1 cup or 4 x 1/4 cup servings)
Toasted pecans coated in crispy sweet candy coating!
- 1 cup pecans, chopped
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1/4 cup sugar
- Cook everything in a no-stick pan over medium heat, stirring constantly, until the sugar has melted and coated the nut and then cook for 4 minutes more.
- Place on parchment paper or a baking sheet, separate with forks and let cool for 5-10 minutes.
Option: Add salt
Option: Add spices like cinnamon or chili powder.